We had a very interesting morning at the Merchant’s House. The Fire of Marlborough in 1653 destroyed and damaged many of the buildings on the High Street. The Merchant’s House was rebuilt after the fire between 1653 to 1720. The owner of the house was Thomas Bayly, a prosperous silk mercer whose lifestyle is reflected in the spacious and elegant rooms. The household enjoyed music, alcohol and bright and cheerful clothes and surroundings. The house was decorated with wall paintings, wooden panelling and a commanding oak staircase. A substantial amount of this fabric survives and previously hidden painted decoration is still being revealed.