Each year we receive an amount of money to promote sport within school. Please see below details of how the sports premium was spent in 2018 – 19.
Use of In2Sport to deliver high quality PE to all classes from across the year. This has been in the format of staff CPD with class teachers in the sessions, co-leading and having the planning to use in future themselves. There are also ‘pop up’ after school clubs for each activity for that term. Planned areas of focus are:
Term 1: Lacrosse
Term 2: Netball
Term 3: Street Dance
Term 4: Football
Term 5: Hockey
Term 6: Cricket
Term 6: Cricket
- Swimming coaching and transport; staff work alongside swimming coaches as CPD. All of the children in years 2 and 3 have swum this year. Our focus is on developing water confidence, supporting non-swimmers, developing swimming stamina and stroke and all children achieving 25m by the end of KS2. We offer swimming to all children in years 4, 5 and 6 who have not yet achieved 25m.
- Squash coaching through Marlborough Squash for all of our KS2 children leading to taking part in a squash festival at Marlborough College in term 6.
- Transport to and from festivals – enabling us to attend all the cluster events on offer. All of our upper KS2 children were able to represent the school on more than one occasion.
- Paying into the Avon Valley Sport Partnership to access festivals and tournaments.
- Paying towards In2Sport to organise and lead a series of small school’s festivals & training year 6 children to be sports leaders at the events for younger children. There is one festival planned for each school term as follows:
- Term 1: Year 5/6 Dodgeball
- Term 2: Year 3/4 Handball with year 6 sports leaders officiating
- Term 3: Year 5/6 Tag Rugby
- Term 4: Year 3/4 Cricket with year 6 sports leaders officiating
- Term 5: Year 5/6 Rounders
- Term 6: Year 3/4 Athletics with year 6 sports leaders officiating.
- Replenish tired PE equipment to ensure children have access to quality, fit for purpose PE equipment. Our focus this year has been on gymnastics benches and mats.
- Taking part in the Marlborough Cluster Dance Festival including paying for the dance coach for afterschool sessions to prepare the children and attend with them on the day.
- Ensuring the school field is safe and is able to be used for PE lessons throughout the year.
- Supporting a daily mile which is run by all pupils in KS2.
- Purchase of 4 ‘Walkie Talkies’ to enable the safe running of a school running club through Savernake Forest.
- Opportunities for staff CPD alongside forest school lead; modelled planning and teaching
- Forest school equipment
A member of staff works alongside all coaches as a form of CPD enabling staff to further develop their own knowledge and skills and therefore ensuring future impact from sports grant funding. In the case of CPD purchased from In2Sport this takes a more formal nature with a ‘team delivery ‘approach supported by expert coaches and an observation of the teacher by the coach.
During the 2018 – 2019 academic year children from St Katharine’s took part in festivals and tournaments in the following sports supported by the above coaching and money used to cover associated costs.
- Mini Marathon
- Tag Rugby
- Kwik Cricket
- When we enter festivals the team to take part are selected through a mix of: whole year group or class entry (with A and B teams), asking for volunteers from children who play a sport through out of school clubs and picking teams at random. We track festival participation carefully and by the end of their time at St Katharine’s children will have had multiple opportunities to represent the school. We also invest time in ensuring children understand what sporting behaviour looks like and what is expected of them.